What a morning! It was a great result for the Reds last night (Tuesday) against Everton. Winning 3-0 is never easy but we sure did make it look comfortable. What irks me is how we can play so well one night and then deliver a performance like we did against Sunderland where none of the Liverpool players seemed interested to play? What we desperately need is some level of consistency in the league.
Having had the pleasure of watching the game live at Anfield last night there are a couple of things we can learn from the game about Liverpool:
1) Steven Gerrard is very far from being a fading force as many people have been thinking. He is Mr. Liverpool our very own captain fantastic and I would hate to think of where we would be without Gerrard. Scoring a hat trick against any opposition is not easy and to do it in a local derby is just priceless! If we can keep Gerrard fit for the rest of the season and hopefully a couple more seasons after that, we are set for a good time.
2) The Gerrard, Carroll and Suarez partnership CAN work. There has been a lot of suggestion that Liverpool should not be playing with Suarez and Carroll upfront and rather sacrifice one of them for a midfielder. But as we saw last night, the two can play very well with each other upfront, it will just take time but so far I am liking what I am seeing. Throw Stevie G into that equation and you have an attacking three that can rival anything else in the league.
3) Stewart Downing is coming good. The hallmark of a good winger is when he has the confidence to knock the ball past the full-back and back himself with his pace to get past him. We have not seen much of that from Downing this season but he is starting to do that which shows that his confidence is growing and that can only be a good sign for us.
4) In Martin Kelly we have a star! I always wonder who is better, Kelly or Johnson at right-back? For now I think Kelly gets my vote. Every time has has been called into the squad he has not let us down. I think it is time for Kenny to give Johnson a run on the right side of midfield as that is clearly a problem area for us which will bring me onto the next point.
5) Henderson is not good enough to be starting for Liverpool right now. If there was a player I would have to fault last night it was Jordan Henderson. I remember how frustrated I was with Lucas a couple of seasons ago, that is how I feel about Hendo now. I am not sure if he is just not comfortable playing in the role Kenny has deployed him in or he is just a bad footballer? I would hate to think it is the later coz we should not have spent 20million on him. I would like to see Henderson play in a more central role and not wide on the right as he looks lost there.