Liverpool’s hopes of signing Valencia winger Juan Mata have taken a blow today (Monday) as the Valencia president, Manuel Llorente, has come out and said that they are not selling the 23-year-old.
“Juan Mata is not for sale,” Llorente said. “We have not received any offers for the player. The news that appears in the media is just rumours. We have a very good squad at Valencia and our priority now is to sign a central defender.”
Mata was thought to be a priority signing for Liverpool this summer after we have been following him for a while. Arsenal had also entered the race for Mata but it looks like both clubs could miss out on him following his excellent displays during Spain’s European Under-21 Championship triumph last month.
But in the crazy world of football, you can never say never. I am sure if Liverpool really want Mata and are willing to offer £25million or more for the Spanish star then Valenica will listen to this offer and consider selling Mata.
As it stands now, Liverpool may have to turn their attention to other wing options such as Stewart Downing, Charles N’Zogbia or my personal favourite, Adam Johnson from Manchester City.