Whilst a lot of the talk so far this summer has been about who Liverpool are going to sign and bring in this summer, we also have to look at who we need to get rid off. When Henry took over Liverpool, one of the first things he highlighted as that there were too many players at Liverpool who were getting high salaries but not delivering on the field. Coupled with that, these players are no longer young and this is probably their last big paying contract of their careers.
We can never be 100% sure on how much a player earns as that information is not easily available but all we can work with are the figures we hear banded around in reports when these players sign their contracts to join the club. Based on these figures there are five players currently on the Liverpool roster who have scored 4 Premier League goals for Liverpool between them and they cost us £370,000-a-week on wages!
All five of these players have simply failed to cut it at Liverpool and we need to sell them on this summer:
1) Joe Cole: Signed on a free transfer from Chelsea but he has not lived up to his billing, Cole is on a reported £100,000-a-week contract, making him one of the highest paid players at the club. Injuries have contributed to his poor form but I believe it is best we cut our losses and move him on. We can not afford another season of paying him such a high wage if he is not contributing positively on the field. Two league goals in a season is not good enough for £100,000-a-week.
2) Milan Jovanovic: He also arrived on a free transfer at the start of last season but never set the stage alight as he was meant to be the left winger the team so badly needed. He is on a reported £90,000-a-week contract and for that he has only started 5 league games for Liverpool without returning a single goal.
3) Alberto Aquilani: We all know the Aquilani saga and we will not rehash it now. He virtually failed to cut it in the Premier League due to his injuries and spent last season on loan at Juventus. Now Juventus do not want to buy him and we may be stuck with him this coming season and paying him £80,000-a-week.
4) Paul Konchesky: The least said about Konchesky, the better. He will go down in my opinion as one of the worst Liverpool signings ever! Paul Konchesky made 15 league starts but lasted just six months before he was loaned to Nottingham Forest. We need to sell him this summer or else continue to pay him £50,000-a-week.
5) Christian Poulsen: Christian Poulsen arrived from Juventus and was said to be a great Danish star. He has only started 9 games for Liverpool and has not looked anything like a star. Getting rid of him is the best option but I wonder who would buy him and match the £50,000-a-week we pay him.