As far as I am concerned, Liverpool played poorly yesterday in the 1-1 draw against Arsenal at The Emirates. For me there was nothing to cheer about. Arsenal also did not play very well and the result is a reflection of that. The following issues are my compliments and concerns from yesterday:
1. Pepe Reina – it will be a huge loss if he left us in the summer.
2. Our defence played well. Carra and Skrtel are beginning to play well together. I also thought young John Flanagan was very good. He gets stuck in and reads the game well. He can only get better. As for Aurelio, why do we waste subsititutions by playing that cripple? His replacement was not very good. I thought the young man gave Theo Walcott too much space. He was afraid to make that decision to commit and ended up just running with Theo hoping for Theo to make a mistake. It was his first game, we can cut him some slack but he has to improve.
3. Lucas played well and so did Jay Spearing. Spearing though should stop those square passes deep in our half or passing back. We need to move forward. We are wasting Raul out wide, he needs to play behind the strikers if SG is absent.
4. Dirk Kuyt had one of his off days, didn’t give us much going forward.
5. Carrol and Suarez had decent games upfront. Both had to drop deep to get balls and being players without much speed it was expecting too much of them. We badly need a speedy winger or striker to use for counter attacks. Our play was one dimensional, focus on Suarez beating 2 or 3 Arsenal defenders to get us anywhere near shooting distance. We need to rectify this.
6. My biggest gripe: WHY DOES KENNY KEEP PLAYING JONJO SHELVEY????? Clearly the youngster is useless. I would d have thought Ngog would have given us more going forward. Kuyt would have remained wide and Suarez as well and Ngog in the middle. At least he can score. Jonjo is over-rated!
I thought that was a soft Lucas penalty, we deserved that point. We toiled hard for it. This was probably our best chance of beating any Arsenal team at The Emirates. Gunners have been poor this season and in my opinion to go there defend is a terrible mindset. Unfortunately that is what Kenny did yesterday.