After Robbie Keane’s no show at Sunday nights F.A. Cup tie against Everton, many of us had thought that this signaled the end of Keane’s time at Anfield. But for now it looks like he will still be around as Rafa has said Keane is in the squad for the match against Wigan on Wednesday. It is said that Keane was upset with being left out of the squad to face Everton on Sunday as Rafa had opted to go with Ngog on the bench. I am not a fan of Ngog and would rather see Keane picked ahead of him any day but Keane has not done enough for me during his time at Liverpool to warrant him a regular place in the match day squad.
It is no secret that Keane has not done as well as many of us had expected when he signed from Spurs in the summer. When I watched the F.A. Cup match against Everton and saw the way Gerrard and Torres were linking up, I thought to myself that Rafa HAS to stick with the Gerrard-Torres combo for the rest of the season as that looks like our best option of getting goals. The Keane and Torres partnership has just not worked and now we are heading into the business end of the season and we can not still be experimenting and hoping combinations will click. Let us rather just go with the tried and tested: Torres upfront with Gerrard behind and Alonso and Mascherano in the middle.
There had been suggestions already this week that Keane could be sold back to Spurs in the transfer window and even the possibility of him going to Manchester City. I guess this was all just press talk and hearing Rafa say today that he still has plans for Keane means that the Irish striker is still here, at least until the end of the season.
CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME: WHY CAN’T KEANE PLAY THE RIGHT WING POSITION OVER KUYT??????????
Do you think he could do a better job – i don;t think Robbie would be well pleased being asked to do that. How long would it take him to get used to playing a new position. I don;t think it would work personally..