Date: 29th October 2014 at 4:32pm
Written by:

Liverpool made it through to the quarter finals of the Capital One Cup, following a dramatic late win over Swansea City at Anfield.

The Reds produced a heroic comeback, scoring two goals in the final nine minutes of the game through substitute Mario Balotelli and Dejan Lovren.

Brendan Rodgers made nine changes from the side that had drawn 0-0 with Hull City on Saturday, with Rickie Lambert leading the line with support from Lazar Markovic and Fabio Borini.

Kolo Toure partnered Dejan Lovren at centre back, whilst Jordan Henderson captained the Reds for the first time alongside Lucas Leiva and Philippe Coutinho in the midfield.

With Swansea being the Premier League side perhaps best known for their possession and ball retention, it was encouraging to see the way in which Liverpool kept a hold of the ball in the first half.

The Reds enjoyed the majority of the possession and the most clear chances. The impressive Fabio Borini forced a decent save from Swansea keeper Tremmel, whilst Lazar Markovic spurned a decent opportunity to break his Liverpool duck, slicing the ball horribly wide having been played through by the lively Philippe Coutinho.

The second half began with much of the same pattern, with Brendan Rodgers side being encouraged by the Kop who were in fine voice for a midweek cup tie.

The fans were to be called upon more than ever on 65 minutes, when Swansea forward Marvin Emnes hooked the ball home on the volley from a tight angle, after ex-Red Jonjo Shelvey had seen his attempted through ball take a fortunate deflection into his path.

Brendan Rodgers responded by throwing on Adam Lallana and Mario Balotelli in place of Lazar Markovic and Rickie Lambert, and it was the Italian striker who made the difference.

Balotelli has come in for fierce criticism having scored just one goal in 11 matches since signing from AC Milan in the summer, but he took that tally to two on 86 minutes, prodding home an excellent cross from Fabio Borini in front of the Kop.

That goal got Anfield rocking, and the Reds pressed forward in search of a late winner.

With extra time looming, the Reds were given a boost when Swansea were reduced to ten men when defender Federico Fernandez was sent off for a reckless two footed lunge on Philippe Coutinho.

But the Reds were spared the extra half an hour, when the Brazilan playmaker swung in a deep free kick with just 30 seconds of added time to play.

Dejan Lovren arrived unmarked at the back post, and took advantage of some poor goalkeeping to head home his first competetive Liverpool goal, and complete a comeback that sees the Reds through to the last eight of the Capital One Cup,

Liverpool assistant manager Colin Pascoe:
“With the way we were playing I thought we were always going to create a chance.
“I thought we were unfortunate to be 1-0 down as the way we played was possibly the best we’ve played all season, with the character of the lads to keep going and get the win.
“It’s a win – even if it was so late. It’s a great feeling.”


Comments are closed.