- Transfer target thought he was already a Liverpool player
- Sunday Rumour: Liverpool lead race for £11.5million left-back
- Brendan Rodgers on Alberto and Aspas’ Liverpool futures
- Striker: I want to leave Liverpool
- Agent: Liverpool star will be staying at the club
- Brendan Rodgers on why Lucas is not playing
- Why Liverpool will have to part with £1million if they win the Premier League
- Liverpool not expected to spend big in the transfer market according to former managing director
- Time to sell him? Liverpool midfielder says I do not want to sit on the bench
- Two Tottenham players that must regret not joining Liverpool
Gerrard: Alex Ferguson tried to sign me twice
Steven Gerrard has spoken out about Alex Ferguson’s comments in his recent autobiography, where the former Manchester United manager said Gerrard was not a top top player.
Ferguson’s comments shocked virtually everyone in the footballing world. If Gerrard is not a top top player then who is? The Liverpool captain, who rarely speaks out in public about such, responded in an exclusive with the Daily Mail and said:
‘Listen, he’s entitled to his opinion.
‘I’m a fan of his; he is one of the best managers in the world. I won’t lose any sleep over it. Throughout my career I have had praise from all types of people – including him – and I am not vain enough to take it all. I have had some unbelievable praise from him and he tried to buy me, certainly on one occasion. Maybe even two.
‘For me, the most important thing is what Brendan Rodgers and Roy Hodgson are thinking. I think they are really pleased with me and that is all I will worry about.’
So why then would Ferguson try to sign Gerrard TWICE if he was not a top top player? I wonder how Gerrard would have turned out if he had joined Manchester United at some point in his career. It is hard to imagine him in a United shirt! I think the fans would have turned their backs on him just like what happened to Michael Owen. There are just some clubs boyhood Liverpool players should never play for and United is one of them.
I like Gerrard’s stance on this whole situation and he should just let it go and let Ferguson get on with his own life whilst Captain Fantastic focuses on getting Liverpool back to the top.
But Gerrard was not done! He took the opportunity to have a dig at Ferguson following his number of England cap situation.
‘107 caps isn’t bad for someone who isn’t “a top, top player”, is it?’ said Gerrard.