- Manchester United legend worried Liverpool will topple former club
- Rodgers admits he feared the sack
- Chelsea star and Liverpool target can leave for ‘huge money’
- Rodgers reckons Liverpool star is almost back to his best
- Reds dealt injury blow as winger is ruled out for a month
- Rodgers and Allen gush over ‘sensational’ Liverpool star
- Rodgers delighted with Reds intensity during City win
- Match report: Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City
- Rodgers rues missed chances in Istanbul
- Besiktas knock Reds out on spot kicks in Istanbul
Steven Gerrard is left fuming
It is not good times at Liverpool right now having gone down to Sunderland on the weekend following a loss to Arsenal the weekend before. I had thought that the Carling Cup success would spur us on into a good run for the end of the season but we have not started off too well.
This has left club captain not in the best of moods. “The players need to take responsibility for where we are in the league,” Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo.
“It’s just not good enough for a club like us to be there. We have to find a better level of consistency.
“We need a reaction and there’s no better team to produce that against than Everton.
“It’s important the players put in a performance and get a result for the fans. Everyone is a bit down after recent results but we want to put a smile back on their faces.
“It’s a big week and we want to go into that Cup tie with Stoke on the back of a win.”
Gerrard is right in that this is not good enough! This was meant to a season where we push forward. One can see we have done that by winning the Carling Cup and still being in the hunt for the FA Cup but our league position is not that great.
Mathematically we can still finish in the top four but not if we continue playing the way we are. ask any Liverpool fan and they will tell you how much they want to be back in the Champions League. We may not make it this season but we must go down fighting and not put in performances like we did against Sunderland whereby we did not look like we wanted to win the game.