- Report: Liverpool star named as PFA Footballer of the Year
- Liverpool receive major fitness boost ahead of Chelsea game
- Transfer target thought he was already a Liverpool player
- Sunday Rumour: Liverpool lead race for £11.5million left-back
- Brendan Rodgers on Alberto and Aspas’ Liverpool futures
- Striker: I want to leave Liverpool
- Agent: Liverpool star will be staying at the club
- Brendan Rodgers on why Lucas is not playing
- Why Liverpool will have to part with £1million if they win the Premier League
- Liverpool not expected to spend big in the transfer market according to former managing director
Why Stewart Downing is a better signing than Juan Mata
I have studied a lot of comments from Liverpool fans on forums, websites, Twitter and Facebook since the end of the season, and the overwhelming conclusion is that most want Juan Mata to sign for our beloved reds. I have to ask the question: WHY?
At 23 years old and with 129 appearances and 33 goals (goals to game ratio 0.25) for Valencia under his belt, Mata has already proven to the world his ability to compete at the highest level. After back-to-back summers in which Mata picked up the 2010 World Cup and the European Under-21 Championship titles, the forward is viewed as one of the hottest prospects in world football.
Beginning his youth career with Oviedo, he moved to Real Madrid’s academy at the age of 15 and spent three years there and was promoted to the Castilla team in 2006-07, relegation followed and he was allowed to leave for Los Che. Oozing with pace and a direct style that sends a shiver down the spines of defenders, Los Che got themselves a bargain and it was not long before he was making his mark on La Liga.
His attacking role on the flank helped Valencia to the Copa del Rey trophy in 2007-08. Mata is technically gifted, his close control and vision are excellent and he has the ability to beat his man and set up chances within the blink of an eye. He is however Lightweight and lacks power, he can be shrugged off the ball too which is why i have doubts on his ability to perform in the premier league.